setup Linux as a wireless router

Hi

I've done some google searching but haven't really found anything that seems to be what I need. First I should add it's been awhile since I have run Linux but that's changing :slight_smile:

What I'm after doing is setting up a Linux box as a wireless router. I will be running the Suse distro if I can (preferred distro)and I want it to run as a normal Linux box, but also to work as a wireless access point for the rest of my network.

I am after long range which would be a pricey wireless router and thought this would be fun to do. I would like to get roughly 300-400m in the open that should give me more then enough coverage also for when I am closer but say inside next doors home.

So this is what I would like for a end result... My current router to connect to the Linux box and act as a 2nd router/firewall, the Linux box to have a wireless antenna and allow other computers to connect to the Linux box and be able to browse the net etc etc. I'm well ware I still require a wireless antenna just wanted to start a little research before I purchase it.

Thanks in advanced for you help :slight_smile:

I am not bragging, I'm remembering some bad days.:o

The hardware needed:

• An Internal Wireless LAN 802.11g PCI Card adapter.
  • A coax network, leading to different antennas in your 300-400 m campus area, delivering to your wireless card.
  • An Ethernet card (to your xDSL or cable modem).
    or * An ISDN card, if your ISP supports it.
    or * A dial-up modem. That time I did it with 4 dial-up modems, and I won't get into that, to keep your sanity graph from declining.

The software:

• your Linux system.
  • set a DHCP, accepting connections on the wireless card network only.
  • set DNS server.
  • set routing and enable NAT.
    For the last point, search "Google dot com slash Linux" for "How To Masquerade On Linux :cool: ". Nowadays I recommend 'iptables' on a 2.6 kernel.

Finally, if I were you, I'd buy a $40 wireless router/access point, from somewhere. Most consumer wireless routers today are a stripped down PC, running embedded Linux or someBSD in their core, with the above settings.
However, it's a good learning project.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply...

Yeah I know about the routers and I can just add a more powerful antenna flash some firmware... I found a website DD-WRT :: News but didn't want to do that.

But where is the fun in that :slight_smile: