Setup hacmp on lpar with a hmc for home lab

Unix Guys

i want to setup a lab in my house for learning, i want to setup and hacmp and a seperate server where i can setup 2 lpars and then cluster those 2 lpars and setup them up for failover

what is the cheapest way to achive this.

my objective is to learn hmc -> managed server via hmc -> setup lpars with hmc-> and then cluster the two lpars.

Can anyone help me with this

abbas

"Cheapest way" as in "cost-effective way" or "technically easiest way"?

I think the cheapest way would be to buy one

9110-51A used/refurbished

Power 5 with support up to AIX 7.1 I think

you need Advanced Power Virtualization support
the System has 2 RU

set up one vio Server / two lpars for hacmp

I have never tried to map a local logical volume from vio server to two lpars, and set up a cluster with concurrent vg on top
but even if it's not possible, you can simply set up an iscsi server on a linux box and use the iscsi lun as shared storage

funksen

thank you so much, yes, that is exactly what i am buying

I am getting the following

9110-510 2way 1.5 Ghz with APV
AIX 6.1 preloaded for testing purposes
3GB RAM
2 x 73GB 10k HDD

6230 SSA adapter (i have a ssa disk array so i can do the disk stuff)

the question is this, can i setup two lpars on the one 9110-510, fail over to and from the lpars under the same box, or do you think i will need to get two of the 9110-510 boxes,
and for an hmc i am buying the following 7310-Cr3 HMC,
Version 7

one system is enough, you can set up two lpars and one vio,
but 3gb ram seems a bit less, I mean it will work, but if you plan to also use an application to test application controllers and so on, you might want to buy at least 4gb

thats all you need for hacmp/Power HA
as I wrote, the shared storage can come from a linux nas box over iscsi, you can either configure the lpars directly as iscsi clients, or you can configure the vio server as iscsi clients
and map the luns to the lpars over virtual scsi adapters

Edit: didn't read the part with the Disk Array , so forget the iscsi thing

but you need to force the disk mapping to the lpars, since your mapping the same disk twice on the same vio (mkvdev -f)

-f
            Force the physical volume specified to be used as a backing device even if its already associated with a virtual SCSI adapter.

funksen

thank you again, i will ask for some more help once i get the equipment and setup, i would love to reach out to you for help,

i am in new york, nice to see you in vienna, must be kind of late now, my wife is from bratislava, hope to visit vienna some day

my name is abbas

Hi Abbas,
I don't think there are any AIX 6.1 SSA drivers, support for SSA ended with AIX 5.3 and even that was sketchy, although the 5.3 drivers were included with 5.3:

IBM SSA Host Software for AIX - latest levels - United States
Note: AIX 5.3 and above is not generally supported - support is by request only.

A fileset search on Fix Central for SSA only shows filesets up to AIX 5.3 TL09.
HTH

dukessd

thank you for that very useful piece of information, i will then not order that ssa card for the new server i am buying,

the new server that i am buying has a integrated scsi card, what is the lowest scsc card i can get to put in the machine which will support 6.1 and and cheap raid array, if you have any sites where i can get used shelfs

abbas syed