setup a domain with no www prefix

Not sure if this is the right forum for this so I apologize.
I am setting up zone records for a domain that will be forwarding to another domain. Right now if you go to www.mydomain.com it forwards to the correct site. but when i go to mydomain.com and just goes to an apache holder page. How do I get mydomain.com to forward to the the other site like www.mydomain does?

This how I have the records are setup now

NS     ns1.domainserver.com
       NS     ns2.domainserver.com
       NS     ns3.domainserver.com
       A      216.117.xxx.xxx

www A 216.117.xxx.xxx

Also right now if I do an nslookup for both www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com they are pointing to the correct ip address. So I must be messing something to get mydomain.com to resolve/forward to the other site.

Thanks!

You have something setup wrong on the server hosting the website. If you use apache make sure that you have mydomain.com in the Serveralias section in the virtual host.

this is weird apparently the company that owns the domain who we are hosting told me they are in control of the records and to delete the A and www record on our end . that they will just point to our server.
Is that correct?

That would only make sense if your domain uses dns servers on their server as well as your server. I highly doubt that is the case though.

You can check what nameservers your domain is using here: