Setting up Wu-FTPD server

Hey, I'm running RH 7.1 and i want to beable to swap files back and from it. I've got Wu-ftpd installed and when i try to connect on my windows box with my root account it says to login so i type root and my password and it says that it's an incorrect login. I know i have to add it to a login file somewhere but i'm not sure which file to add it to! I think thats it anyways, anybody know? Thanks!

Do a man on 'useradd'. You just need to add a normal unix user account and you will be able to ftp.

If you want to ftp as root (possible security risk), you need to do the following:

1. Remove root from /ect/ftpusers
  2. Remove the current /etc/ftpaccess file and replace it with something like this:
class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email user@hostname

Also, if you have not already done so you must enable wu-ftp in /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftp. I think you have already done this since it sounds like you are getting a prompt.

perfect it worked! But why do you have to remove root from that file? I don't understand why you would do that. I've got my own little secure netowrk so i'm good i just need to swap some files cause my hd on my laptop is to small. Thanks agian.

The ftpusers file list users that are denied access to ftp. Linux is a pretty paranoid OS by default. When you install linux, a lot of "open doors" are secured, or at least more so then several unix OSes. root telnet and ftp are very vulnerable to an open network. Anyone with a sniffer can easily check out your packets and get your root password. ssh and secure ftp (check out vsftp) are better but are still not 100% secure.

Thanks i'll check those out. I thought that the FTPaccess was a list of users tha thad access to the FTP services so i coudn't figure out why it woudnt' work...but i cna see myself using the FTP alot over my school network and i'm gonna want to secure my username and password because i'm in a networking course so everybody has a sniffer....lol.