Setting up synergy on a complex network

Hi,

I'm trying to use synergy at my workplace. I have a Windows laptop, which I want to use as the client and a Linux desktop which will be the server. Unfortunately, these machines are not on the same Local Area Network.

The only way to access the Linux desktop from my Windows laptop is by ssh-ing a gateway machine (essentially a Linux workstation that's on the same network as the windows laptop and is also connected to the Linux desktop).

I'd like to know how to setup the synergy server on my Linux desktop so that the Windows laptop can detect it. I've been told that this was set-up earlier but after a new Linux OS update it doesn't work anymore.

Some details on the setup

The gateway machine (which runs Ubuntu 10.04) has two ethernet cards - first for the LAN network that connects to the Windows laptop and the second that connects to the Linux desktop (which runs SUSE Enterprise 11).

I can ping from the Windows laptop to the gateway machine, but not the other way round. I can ping to and from the gateway machine to the Linux desktop and from the gateway to the Windows machine. Also, I don't mind changing client and server as long as I can get it to work.

Thanks!