Setting up a Solaris training

Hi,
i'm about to hold a training (Solaris 10) for my colleagues. I've to plan for two days. There is a day for basics and a day (some weeks later) for advanced topics. All of them are regular solaris users (but mostly only installing + patching).

What do you guys think are interesting topics that i should cover?

I thought about:

Basic:

• Whats new since Solaris 9
    ..-> SMF
    ..-> Predictive self healing
    ..-> Fault Management
  • MPXIO
  • IPMP
  • Trunking

Advanced:

• ZFS
  • DTrace
  • Zones/Container
  • LDoms
  • JET (Jumpstart Enterprise Toolkit)

Love to hear some nice ideas...

Tia,
DN2

We are trying to get people to upgrade away from Solaris 8. With the kind of "push back" we're getting, you'd think we had asked them to eat a bucket of worms. The new system start up is the big thing. You can ignore zfs and dtrace, but you can't ignore the changes to system start up. Even a simple thing like disabling (or re-enabling) sendmail freaks out most folks approaching 10 for the first time. You won't be comfortable with the os until you're comfortable with this. This is the main reason that a lot of people where I work have rejected Solaris 10.

Reason number 2 is no support for static linking, but this only requires a quick sentence or two in your class.

The class is not this "high-level" users... We are all "field engineers" and mostly do solaris installations on sun hardware.
SMF is definitly a point to teach... it run's under "whats new since solaris 9".

thanks for your input!

How about Zones/Containers/Logical Domains?

done :wink:

duke - what exactly do the CE's do on a daily basis?

Do you want to look at any security stuff? The hardening work etc prior to deployment, time-of-attack work (pretty jolly rare to be on the spot at the time of course), and (more useful) after incident analysis?

I'm thinking things like following a set of connections through servers by matching the source and destination port numbers.

In that same vein, you could look at the same process from a troubleshooting perspective... I've done similar before for a our DBAs to teach them how to find which unix script (sometimes on a different server) was behind a jammed oracle job, and how to tell which server (production or DR) is connecting to their DBs.

Definitely go over the new commands introduced in S10.

Other great talking points:

• Leadville HBA drivers , which is why they may see long target names...
  1. c6t5006016141E00C85d0 <DGC-RAID5-0326 cyl 40958 alt 2 hd 128 sec 10>
    /pci@7,700000/emlx@0/fp@0,0/ssd@w5006016141e00c85,0
  • LDOMs/sun4v - LDOMs can only be leveraged on servers using sun4v architectures (Sun T1000/T2000/T5220, etc). I state this to avoid confusion.

• DTrace should only be introduced to advanced users, but sample scripts can be found in /usr/demo/dtrace

i think dtrace is going beyond what they may need to know. advanced debugging should not be a field engineer's task.

dtrace alone could be a week long class.

debugging of what?

any problem or performance issues on a system...

this is what i call "troubleshoting". debugging is something on softwarelevel... (in my opion).

hahah. i see your point. i guess i use the term to loosely.

so lets try it again... advanced troubleshooting :smiley:

what about user environment?? do they know that? how to change it, set it up to whatever. just trying to think of something more meaningful to their everyday tasks (which i only have a brief idea as to what they actually do from what you said).

i do like your topics on SMF and predictive self healing.

how about setting up services to be managed by SMF? moving away from legacy rc.

i know they do installs and patching but do they know all the different ways of doing this??

maybe i'll to a short introduction of JET... not a bad idea...

p.s. i've edited the first post to reflect the input...

with the mpxio... will you be giving a quick run down on hbas? types, commands, leadville and lpfc etc etc?

yupp...

IMHO routing is a must know, its too bad that you learn more about configuring old mr 90% (windows server 2003 and 2008) to be a router.
Oh and what About posting transcripts of the training for those of us who are less fortunate and can't afford the cost of taking the Sun academic courses, like me (who's college due to budget cuts had to restrict the Solaris classes to computer Programming student only i.e. Broward College.

What company do you work for DukeNuke2/

I am getting ready to embark on a long and tedious four year Computer Engineering Bachelors over at the local campus of ITT Tech here in Fort Lauderdale,FL.

Don't you really mean self preservation. If you have a solaris system that can heal itself, sign me up, I'd like 10 or 20 of them.

Solaris Operating System - Features Availability

so have you come up with anything? i'm kinda interested to see this presentation.