Server Shutdown Problem

I have a sparc T1 server (I know its old) running Solaris 8, which we use for testing. It has been very slow in response- prompt takes couple of minutes to come up, so I decided to reboot the server but I can reboot it, it is giving following errors when I try to shutdown it down.

root@deva:/# shutdown -y -i6 -g0
bash: /usr/sbin/shutdown: I/O error
root@deva:/# shutdown -y -i6 -g0
bash: /usr/sbin/shutdown: I/O error

I ssh from other machine it asks for the password and then stays there for quiet a while.
Any simple command such as dmesg takes forever for the server to respond.
Can anyone pls suggest what is wrong with it I also did #iostat -en
but I donot see any soft or hard errors on disk.

Please reply

sounds like your root file system is corrupt or the disk is bad. is this mirrored? do you have a backup? are you able to check /var/adm/messages ? can you boot off a cd or the network and check the file systems and or hardware?

Yes dmesg gives errors as follows- but they are not from today

Jul 5 05:10:42 deva scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 (sd0):
Jul 5 05:10:42 deva disk not responding to selection
Jul 5 05:10:55 dev scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 (sd0):
Jul 5 05:10:55 dev disk not responding to selection
Jul 5 05:11:13 dev scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 (sd0):

are your disks mirrored? Break the mirror, boot the system as a raw device 9changing the /etc/vfstab and system files for the other good disk. boot to single user, fsck the filesystem, bootup and shutdown. try.

If no mirror, you need to restore from backup. Is your /usr on a different partition?