server restarting

Hello people,

My solaris server is rebooting, not sure how!!! Which log should I look in to? I checked /var/adm/messages and dmesg also. How do I check older dmesg logs? I checked lastlog and also ran the last command. Nothing useful pointing to why server rebooted.

Also when server reboots I want apache to also come up with it? For eg: I can give ./apachectl -k start in a startup script. Where is the startup script for the OS?

Thanks in advance...:slight_smile:

What is the server model?

If possible connect to the console to watch for any error messages.

Alter /etc/syslog.conf to include *.debug in the line that points to /var/adm/messages then restart syslogd.

I use this:

## Log everything, include syslog internal timestams (mark), but ignore 
## auth and mail because they are handled later in the file.
*,mark.debug;auth,mail.none     /var/adm/messages

If you use that be sure to take out the space between .none and /var and insert a single TAB

To have apache start on boot put the apachectl command into an executable script and save it to /etc/rc3.d/S99mywebsite

"My solaris server is rebooting, not sure how!!! "
Are you talking abt a system panic? I don't get you as why you're talking abt apache in the midst of server reboot issue.

Sorry abt that....i guess I was not clear enough :)...Actually those are two different topics....the apache is my doubt...coz once the server reboots apache wont come up on its own...got it? So I was thinking of adding a script somewhere...I got from the /var/adm/logs that a memory module is faulty, have to replace that...however since two days it has not rebooted...lets see..Hope now am clear enough now... :):b:

Check the /etc/rc3.d/S50apache. Is it disabled? Any OS hardening done recently to start up apache? can you perform ps -ef |grep http? There will be 2 apache instances. One in /etc/init.d and /etc/rc3.d. Are you sure which you're asking abt really? Is the web service?