Server Rebooting frequently

Deall All,

I have facing some problem. I have a Sun 4500 Server at the customer place. Now the server is not booting mean's once the server is coming up it is automatically rebooting. As this is the critical server for the customer that is use for production .

Can this be solved by running FSCK on ROOT. Please send me the process of running FSCK,if bootblk is corupted can we repair it.

Also how to copy bootblk form CD

Please help.... Thank you.

without knowning the problem there won't be a solution... use a serial line to the server and catch the output from boot process. would be good to start from ok> prompt with a "boot -v" for more output...

In addition to what DukeNuke2 said, I would also try to bring it up to single user mode

boot -v -m milestone=single-user

or

boot -v -s

i agree with DukeNuke2, we need a console output. Because we don't know why your server is rebooting/crashing...

Dear DukeNuke/fpmurphy/beta17

Thank you all for your valuable output. When i give hard reboot once the screen is available it throws some errors like
"mount:WARNING: line 'i' in vfstab has too many entries"

The system is coming up,please wait.......
Hostname:pavana

Now the problem starts:

WARNING: unable to repair one or more File System. Run FSCK manually.

Type control-d to proceed with normal startup
(To give root password for system maintance) 

After that when i tried with Ctrl+d option,it enters into gui mode,b4 gui mode coming properly,it syncing the File System and after that rebooting and coming bck to previous state.

When i tried with the root password,it enters into the maintance mode.

These are the steps I followed there.

-> I boot the system into single user mode by CD

-> Running FSCK on All file system, I even run FSCK on alternative superblok by hoping that it may be corrupted.

-> after that i rebooted the server but the problem still persist.

I am not able to take console or eeven capture the logs..

Please suggest me.............

Sounds like an entry in /etc/vsftab is incorrect. Did you or somebody else edit this file recently?

as suggested... you will need a serial line and forget about the display. if you're not able to boot the system to single user mode and check the /etc/vfstab you might need a boot cd or a bootserver to boot your system from remote media and then edit your vfstab on the internal drive.

Thank you,

Let me check the /etc/vfstab file, i will revert you back with the updates

any update?

due to the errors in the vfstab you should check the vfstab by do the following :
1- insert your CD in the cdrom driver
2- go to OK prompt and write boot cdrom -s
3- fsck the slice if you want to check the file system
4- mount /dev/dsk/c2t0d0s0 "for example " /a
5- TERM=sun
6- export TERM
7- vi /a/etc/vfstab

and verify that the records in the file is correct.

---------- Post updated at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:20 AM ----------

the command for installing the bootblk is
installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/pboot

dear all,

I edited the vfstab file and when i boot the server after that,it goes well means it ask for User name and then password. By the time of entering password,it automatically reboots.

Actually this server was attached to the Storedge A1000.which has 4 internal hard disk. Size of one hard disk is 36.4 GB.

But in iostat -En output it showing 109.13 Gb means almost the size of one H/D is missig. Also there is amber blowing in the storage. There is no Internal Hard disk in the server. It connected to the Storage.

Can anyone suggest me, how to resolve this issue....

Thank you all

---------- Post updated at 05:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:36 AM ----------

After editing the vfstab , i didn't install the bootblk.. Is that the issue the server not booting....