Server performance

Hi,

Please advice .. if server is slowness then what are the steps i have to follow...

Thanks,
Mani

buy a faster server?

Mani, the quality of the answer you get here is directly proportional to the information you provide. Very vague questions get very vague answers.

What is the make and model of your server and what version of OS are you running? What is the server being used for? What "slowless" are you seeing?

1 Like

I totally agree with fpmurphy and DukeNuke2.
Be accurate and be specific . You will get a satisfying answers .
Anyways answer the following initial questions you might get informative answers that might tune your severer performance , Otherwise go with short answer by DukeNuke2
What model is this server and what is the specs of it ?
What type of OS it's running on it?
What type of applications running on top of it?
for now answer those questions

we have a same problem, from time to time. reboot seems to speed it up, although many say that should be avoided on Solaris and similar. (there might be problems after reboot). perhaps RAM upgrade would help, its usually the cheapest way to upgrade hardware. if you are running some database on it, there are tools to clean it regularly. I was told vmstat command shows what causes bad performance.
also don't forget to remove unused files. check available space. defragmentation might help with old drives.

Thank you to all for wonderful advice !!!

Thanks,
Mani