Serial Port Bar Coding

Hello, We have an hp-ux 10.2 software on a Hp3070 ICT system. We are having problems using a 2-D barcode. It is currently in series with the keyboard using the opticom cable and barcode. The unix system keeps losing the keyboard and locking up the whole system and will not boot unless I remove the scanner. Is there software to utilize the Serial port 1 to attach the 2-D bar-code, thereby a scan occurs overwrites the keyboard buffer to use the barcode data?

thanks

What operating system does this Hp3070 ICT run? We really don't know much about it.

Though my gut suspicion is no. If this system does run UNIX, injecting content from other sources into someone else's terminal stream is something UNIX is designed to prevent -- terminals are supposed to be secure against injection and snooping. They're used for passwords, after all.

The first thing I'd try would be configuring the barcode reader instead, or replace it if necessary. What is your barcode reader? Is there perhaps a way to slow down the speed at which it types?

The system runs unix 10.20. We have already tried configuring the bar-coder but that doesn't seem to help. Based upon your reply we may be looking up the wrong tree but have to explore all paths first.

@Corona688

The OP has already given the information. It's HP-UX 10.2. Very old version of HP-UX (considering HP-UX 11 is around for 15 years now)

---------- Post updated at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:50 PM ----------

@mcooper1255

I doubt if HP-UX 10 is still supported. But, I would suggest you rather check on HP's websites for possible driver updates.

The japanese company does not believe in keeping up with the latest software version or yearly support. Hence my need to come out to the public for answers.

I read that post three times and didn't see the OS, my apologies.

Updates can cause problems, not just fix them, so for task-specific hardware like this, the rule seems to be "if it's not broken, don't fix it". Besides, HP-UX isn't cheap.

What is your barcode reader?

What I/O is the system capable of besides keyboard and serial? I know that, in Linux, if you plug in an extra keyboard via USB, the inputs are combined into one keyboard stream...

Isn't that the reason most organizations use Un*X OSes? People wouldn't bother until 20 years later when something starts to go wrong finally. :smiley:

Well, I am not aware of any third party software regarding this and I have very little knowledge about using barcode readers. But, I found this site helpful when it came configuring the serial ports on HP boxes. Hope it shows some light to you!

HP/UX serial port configuration

Hmmm. Here's another idea -- maybe it's not the machine that's locking up, but its keyboard! Due to the way keyboard protocol works, one hung keyboard could potentially freeze both. Could you try a different keyboard?

I think your barcode scanner could not compatible with your system.

I used to support HPUX 9, 10 and 10.20 12 years ago when I was in S Korea. :slight_smile:
Good to see 10.20 still used.

I guess the scanner connected to HPUX might have a problem. Try to change it.
Otherwise you need to check/replace the serial port which is connected to the scanner.

Cheers,