separate "named daemon" message from /var/adm/messages

Hello group,
How can I separate "named daemon" messages to the other file instead of /var/adm/messages. I still want all other daemons log the messages to /var/adm/messages.

i.e.
named => /var/adm/named.message
other daemons => /var/adm/messages.

I searched unix.com, and google but I still can't figure out how.

Please give me some hint to get start.
Thanks,

Can you not change that in named.conf?

Yes, I can. But I really like to utilize syslog, and logadm that can do compression, rotate the file automatically. And I also to apply this method for xntpd also.
Thanks,

You can use syslog-ng for this.

man syslog-ng

You did not mention your operating system, for some odd reason :wink:

My company has a strictly policies, and doesn't like the idea to install another syslog program into the system. And I try to get the log to separate off to every daemon for easy troubleshooting/debug. Is it meant I can't separate each daemon log, under Solaris 10 by using syslogd?
Thanks,

I don't think you can do (easily) this with syslogd. Of course you can simply pipe syslog into a filter (via a named pipe), but most people would not do that, they would use syslog-ng. That is why I recommended you use syslog-ng :smiley:

Actually, if you had of posted these details first, you would have saved a lot of peoples time. For example, why not begin your post (?)

My company has a strict policy and only permits syslogd, running on Solaris 10 ......

Instead, we post answers for you, then you slowly describe your infrastructure and requirements. How about describing your requirements first next time?

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 19:19 ---------- Previous update was at 18:38 ----------

Hint: