sendmail mail server help

Hello guys,

Am trying to enable/start sendmail in Solaris 10. I tried using scvadm and also did it using the /etc/init.d/sendmail restart but no effect. Just returns to the prompt. No errors nothing. I checked if it is running using ps -eaf | grep sendmail, not running :frowning: . I checked the logs /var/adm/messages nothing there. Am new to solaris with knowledge of linux. Can anyone help me out of this issue?:confused:

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

what state is it in ? try svcs -a | grep sendmail

are all svcs it depends on running ok ? try svcs -d sendmail

And you can check that all looks reasonable / find the logfile info from:

svcs -l sendmail

HTH,

Thanks Tytalus...I will try it out and get back....

@Tytalus :

# svcs -a | grep sendmail gives

# maintenance Apr_24 svc:/network/smtp

# svcs -d sendmail
Every thing is shown as online for this command

# svcs -l sendmail gave the location of log file for sendmail, shows as "re-reading configuration" and the state for sendmail is in maintenance.

Please help. Sendmail still not up and running.

when you run the svcs command, you should see full path to the log at the bottom. check that out.

@ pupp
The log file has been found as said in my previous reply. The log file shows as re-reading configuration. Nothing else. Anyone any ideas? I dont understand why no errors are being shown while trying to start sendmail. Please shed some light on it. :confused:

Still no luck, the main issue is no errors are coming up in the terminal nor in the logs...the only thing that suggests there is some issue is that it is in maintenance mode. I hope am correct...:frowning:
Can anyone give me some pointers? :confused:

sorry about that. i didn't realize what log file(s) you were looking at. disable the service and try to re-enable/start the service through svcs. check if you can get any output that way. again, check logs and check svcs to see if it reverts back to maintenance mode.

@pupp
The question of disabling does not arise as it is not enabled from the start. :slight_smile: However I have tried enabling and disabling many times before opting for advice from this forum. Also as am new to solaris so I have limited knowledge about commands with which you can diagnose the issue. sendmail is always in maintenance mode...:confused:

well... you could always re-instal the sendmail packages. If you have the CD's, it will be on the first cd or if you have the dvd, its just that one. Look at reinstalliing SUNWsndmr and SUNWsndmu packages. Uninstall those packages and then reinstall. pkgrm/pkgadd. see if you still have issues.