sendmail failed after patch update

Hi, I was troubleshooting H/W issue on a Ultra 5 workstation, whereby the system kept rebooting. In the course of isolating the issue, I patched the system with the latest Recommended cluster patch for solaris 7. SInce then, sendmail is not working and am getting the following errors. Kindly check if anyone who knows to workaround this. Thanks.

Aug 6 18:55:17 hostname sendmail[7742]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(www): Warning: .cf version level (10) exceeds sendmail version 8.11.7p1+Sun functionality (9)

Are you able to recompile your sendmail.cf from the m4 template? Provided you haven't customised your .cf directly you should be able to just rebuild and fire it all back up.

Can I have the steps please? Thanks.:o

This all assumes you havn't manually hacked your sendmail.cf, if you have, the following steps will eat any changes youve made (but then, it looks like your patch did that too, so...)

1. cd /etc/mail
  2. cp -p sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.borked
  3. cd /usr/lib/mail/cf
  4. make
  5. cp subsidiary.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
  6. /etc/init.d/sendmail stop
  7. /etc/init.d/sendmail start
  8. tail /var/adm/messages

:smiley:

*I haven't worked with sol7 for a while, it could be /etc/sendmail.cf instead of /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

I backed out the sendmail patch and it worked fine.
Anyway, thanks for the steps. might be useful in future.:smiley:

@incredible
bro hw did u do that? :o steps?

patching sendmail is very dangerous. Before patching ALWAYS!!! backup

/etc/mail <--- everything in here

/usr/lib/sendmail <--- backup the binary

The patch special instruction does not say anything but once you install sendmail patch it will generate new sendmail binary and overwrite everything else, aliases files, cf files everything - make sure you do backup.

some crazy sites use multiple sendmail versions especially telco can have very messy systems, I did one customer some years back, there's at least 5 different sendmail binaries location on the server after issuing the "find" command, messy guy.

To tell what is your current sendmail and which cf file it is using run command
/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.11 -bp