sendmail configuration

I am in the process of setting up a new AIX 5.2 machine. I am not normally an AIX admin so please excuse if this is a dumb question.... this being that I need to alter the sendmail config. I can easily diff the default sendmail.cf with an existing server's file and see where to make the changes I need. However, I see that sendmail now seems to configured in .mc files and compiled to .cf files using m4. This seems a better way that hacking .cf files directly. However, on AIX the IBM documents I have seen only seem to talk about direct .cf changes. My question is, what is considered standard or best practice on AIX? .mc/m4 or direct .cf updates?

Thanks.

Hi,

You should use the .mc files to create the .cf files. It is the best practice.

Thanks for that. I confess I have hacked the .cf file for now and moved on; however I'll come back and do it properly when I have the chance. I suspect it is best to clear the decks and put aside a day to get stuck into it. If anyone reading this has any example .mc files they could post that would be appreciated... I know there is a sample available but the sample .mc when compiled produces a quite different file to the sample .cf file, even though the docs say it was used to make it...!