Sending SMS from Solaris 10 - Help

All,

I'm an in-experienced Solaris user, but our application is now hosted on Solaris 10, after being hosted on HPUX for many years.

In some of our scripts, we send a text message to a support persons cell phone using the mailx command:

echo "process count high on $HOST" | mailx -s "processes High on $HOST" <10digitnumber@<cellprovider>.com

This has worked for years from the HPUX host, but now it does not work from the Solaris host. The only way I can get the message is to change the destination to @mms.<cellprovider>.com and I get the message (like a picture not just text).

I've checked with the cell provider, and they can see the test messages from our hpux host and they are processed, but the test messages from the solaris server are not reaching the cell provider.

I suspect that either sendmail is stripping something off of the message needed to get it processed, or we don't have sendmail configured correctly.

I'm not exactly sure where to start troubleshooting, so any guideance is appreciated.

thx,
SteveT.

have you checked the solaris mail log? does any outbound email work? try sending using -v with the mailx option and post the results(after scrubbing if needed)

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.
We finally found the answer. We had to update the sendmail.cf file to include the server domain for our new servers. This was probably done on the hpux servers many years ago as well....but memory isn't what it used to be...