Sending Multiple Files through email

Hi Everyone,

I'm using the uuencode command with the mail command to send out emails through a UNIX script. The problems is that i have a number of gif files that i need to attach to a single email but the number and name of the gif files is not static. Example today the folder home/Desktop may contain
1.gif
2.gif
3.gif

but tomorrow it may contain
3.gif
sfsdf.gif
vbgcvb.gif

So that only thing that is constant is that all the files have a gif extension. Im trying to use a single line command that will enable me to send all the gif files in the current folder:

uuencode home/Desktop/*.gif "many gif files" | mailx -s "GIf files" me@yahoo.com

does anyone know how to do this? Unfortunately zipping the files before adding them as an attachment is not possible.

Thanks

One syntax would be....

(
   for i in home/Desktop/*.gif
   do 
      uuencode $i $(basename $i) 
   done
) | mailx -s "GIf files" me@yahoo.com 

thanks for your speedy reply...i tried typing the code as a single file and it seems to get the following error:

"Variable syntax"

could you let me know if im doing anything wrong? or is there another way of writing the same line or even another solution.

thanks

Hi Everyone,

I�m using the uuencode command with the mail command to send out emails through a UNIX script. The problems is that i have a number of gif files that i need to attach to a single email but the number and name of the gif files is not static. Example today the folder home/Desktop may contain
1.gif
2.gif
3.gif

but tomorrow it may contain
3.gif
sfsdf.gif
vbgcvb.gif

So that only thing that is constant is that all the files have a gif extension. Im trying to use a single line command that will enable me to send all the gif files in the current folder:

uuencode home/Desktop/*.gif "many gif files" | mailx -s "GIf files" me@yahoo.com

does anyone know how to do this? Unfortunately zipping the files before adding them as an attachment is not possible.

Thanks

Merged multiple threads - please read the rules - especially about double posting.