See Fileset Changelog

Hello,

I have two AIX 5.3 systems. One is at Technology Level 6 Service Pack 5, and the other is Technology Level 12 Service Pack 3. I was hoping to find a changelog of fixes made for a specific fileset (bos.net.tcp.server) between these two versions, but I can only seem to find changes made in specific releases. Since there are so many TLs and SPs between these two versions I was hoping to find a complete list of changes rather than click on each one individually. Is this possible?

If you "commit" your new filesets when you install them, the old ones are overwritten. If you just "apply" your new filesets, then the old ones are kept in place. The advantage of just "applying" your filesets is that you can see all the older versions you had installed. The disadvantage is that the older filesets take up more space on your disks. I don't think there is any way to see the upgrade dates other than parsing through your /smit.log assuming, of course, that you upgraded through smit.

Does lslpp -h help you?

Sort of. We noticed different behavior with BPF devices and tcpdump on the two systems, and came across this APAR https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1IZ46347

I was hoping to do a more in-depth analysis of the changes between the two systems (in particular the changes made to bos.net.tcp.server) instead of searching through APARs guessing subject lines that relate to our problem.

We found that if we run more than one session of tcpdump on the TL6 system, the previous tcpdump's filter string breaks and it lets either all or none of the packets through. We weren't seeing this on the TL12 system, and stumbled across that APAR by searching for 'bpf'.