sed s/// syntax help

<tr><td width=10%  style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>Package</b></td><td width=10% valign=center style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>JTs</b></td>

This is got to be simple. I run this on the above .html file:

sed 's/;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in//'  infile

but it won't work. What Monday, need more coffee, syntax am I missing?

Try putting a backslash in front of the semi-colons.

sed 's/\;background:#F7F0D9\;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in//'  infile

No Joy

sed 's/\;background\:#F7F0D9\;padding\:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in//'  infile

No Joy
and

sed 's/\;background\:\#F7F0D9\;padding\:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in//'  infile

No Joy

:wall:

What do you mean by doesn't work? Could you post the output you get and explain what the problem is?

I tried both the way I told you and with your superfluous blackslash in front of a colon. Both work for me.

$ cat f
<tr><td width=10%  style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>Package</b></td><td width=10% valign=center style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>JTs</b></td>

$ sed 's/\;background:#F7F0D9\;padding\:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in//' f
<tr><td width=10%  style='width:5%'><center><b>Package</b></td><td width=10% valign=center style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>JTs</b></td>

$ sed 's/\;background\:#F7F0D9\;padding\:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in//' f
<tr><td width=10%  style='width:5%'><center><b>Package</b></td><td width=10% valign=center style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>JTs</b></td>

$

:confused:

I'm not kidding. It doesn't want to work. Other sed cmds are working.
I ran the cmd against the file and the output was still the same as the original. See attached JPG

A jpg file is not a very useful way to present the characters on your screen. I looked at the jpg and I did not see a single occurance of the sequence ";background" anywhere except your sed command. The sequence ";background" does appear in the data in your first post though. I copied and pasted that text to use as my test data. It works with that.

try this, might work:)

sed 's|;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in||g'

Ok, I found it.
There are mixed formats in this file. It has Hundreds of background and padding calls. Some have extra spaces ie: padding: and padding :. So, my sed was working, but the results looked like they failed.

:wall:, that is why I'm cleaning these files!