Sed and regex help needed

Hi all,

I'm writing a script that replaces a value in a file. The file is formatted as follows:

[param_one] [value]
[param_two] [value]

So, for this example, I'd like to replace the value for param_two. The value for param_two can be a one, or two-digit number. It replaces the value in file.cfg, and directs the output to new_file.cfg. $p2 is a variable passed as an arg on the command line. Here's what I have:

sed -e "/^\[param_two/s/[0-9]/$p2/" file.cfg > new_file.cfg

This code works like a charm if the value for param_two is a one-digit number and $p2 is a one or two-digit number. If the value is a two-digit number, however, my code only replaces only the first digit; which is not what I want. I want to be able to replace the value with whatever is passed for $p2. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

can explain little bit more so that i can try myself..

Thanks
Sha

Try this

sed -e "/^\[param_two/s/[0-9]\{1,2\}/$p2/" file.cfg > new_file.cfg

or

sed -e "/^\[param_two/s/[0-9]\+/$p2/" file.cfg > new_file.cfg

that will do more than 2 digits

Sure. You can create file.cfg with these contents:

[param_one] [/usr/local/foo]
[param_two] [23]

Then make a script with this code:

sed -e '/^\[param_two/s/[0-9]/6/' file.cfg > new_file.cfg

What I'm hoping for here is to replace the value [23] with [6] (Note: I removed the command line arg/variable from earlier, as I'm just trying to make this as simple an example as possible). Thanks a lot.

I changed my code I left out the origional file to read...

sed -e "/^\[param_two/s/[0-9]\+/$p2/" file.cfg > new_file.cfg

Thanks a lot! This works exactly like I need it to. For my own edification, what does the new \{1,2\} portion of the regex mean in english? :wink: I really appreciate the help.

[0-9]{\1,2\} = 1 or 2 of [0-9]
[0-9]{\1,3\} = 1 to 3 of [0-9]
[0-9]{\1,6\} = 1 to 6 of [0-9]
[0-9]{\3,6\} = 3,4,5 or 6 of [0-9]
[0-9]{\3,\} = 3 or more of [0-9]
[0-9]\+ = 1 or more of [0-9]

I'd really like to have a firm grasp on regular expressions one these days, so that information is much appreciated. Thanks, again!

Here is a good place with some "Cheat Sheets" for different things include Regex.

http://www.addedbytes.com/cheat-sheets/