Secure FTP Client that Logs well

Folks
I am on a quest....

I am looking for a lightweight FTP client capable of FTPS and or SFTP that has good audit and logging capabilities without requiring a central server component. My platforms are Linux, Solaris, AIX, and Windows Server.

The kicker is I have found things that meet the requirements but not without a server. My management wants to do this with the logs local to the FTP client box. The logs need to be detailed on who and what was sent with source and destination indicated, probably detailed command listing to.

Anybody seen anything like this. Or if you looked and found this to be a Unicorn let me know that too. Thanks in advance.

Art

Hi Art, there are few, I will suggest the links, you will do the evaluation :
FileZilla, ncftp, curl and crossFtp, HTH.

another alternative: lftp

I would suggest that using ftp logs stored on the client machine is not a particularly good audit system (not for security anyway). If you want reliable audit logs from a security viewpoint, I would start with not letting people being able to access and modify their own logs.

Having said that the solaris ssh server, and the openssh server for solaris dont have support for detailed logging anyway. There is a home made patch or something for the openssh one, but I wouldnt put that on a critical system (the kind that you would be interested in logging in the first place).

Perhaps using a WebDAV server with SSL would be better. There are clients for all those O/S's you listed plus the server will log the information you wanted.