SDD for SVC on HP-UX and LINUX

Hello Unix Admins:

Has any one in this distribution list implemented SVC (SAN Volume Contoller - A solution from IBM) in your environment? If you have, do you have any do's / don'ts? Anything which you like sharing would be really appreciated.

For example, my inputs:
I tried implementing SDD for SVC on Linux 4.6. It worked fine on one server and not the next one. The reason being that - SDD for SVC cannot be implemented on a Large Linux Kernel. The server where I successfully implemented had a small kernel since it had 16G of RAM. The next server which had 64 Gigs of RAM had a large kernel and SVC is not yet supported on this.

I have been trying to convert a HP-UX 11i Server from EMC Powerpath to SVC. We have a number of disk devices which are zero bytes. Each time we try to access these drives with a "dd" command or "diskinfo" etc., the server panics. The issue is un-resolved at the moment.

Please send your experiences and solutions if you have found any. Thanks for all your help in advance.

-Kennedy

Hi

Depending on the version of your HP-UX server you won't need to install SDD software layer. HP-UX 11.31 has their own driver for several SAN implementations including IBM SVC. We have implemented a full SAP on HP-UX 11.31 enviroment and are using plain HP-UX to config all LUNs using what HP call Agile view (very similar to the IBM AIX concept of a single hdiskNN device) instead of the traditional device numbering concept used in older versions of HP-UX.

But if you cannot use latest versions of HP-UX you will need to install appropiate SDD software version from IBM Web Site. I would install latest available maintenance levels for HP-UX as well as FC adapters microcode of needed.

IBM - Subsystem Device Driver for HP-UX

Hope this helps