Scripting with awk: facing problem

Hi,
I wants to print the 9th column information with its path name in some txt file. Here is one line which works fine for me:

rfdir /castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja | grep data | awk '{print "rfio:///castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja/"$9}' > dataFilenames.list

rfdir=="ls -ltr"
So with this definition of rfdir, it goes to particular folder, check the content. Grep the column with "data" and print the 9th column in datafilenames.list.

But this line is bit hard coded. I thought of making a flexible script. I could do little.

#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                            

PATHNAME=$1
#CONSTANT="rfio:"                                                                                                                                                      
GREP=$2
OUTPUT=$3
echo "Copying \"$1 | grep $2\" to $3"

rfdir $PATHNAME | grep $2 | awk '{print '$1'$9}'  > $3
echo "progressing ... please be patient..."

The error with this try.sh script is following:

[lxplus252] /afs/cern.ch/work/p/pooja/scripts/PhoOptStudy/mc/fall11/GJet > ./try.sh /castor/cern.ch//user/p/pooja/WorkArea/Fall11/GammaJet/GJet30To50/ bkg pooja.log
Copying "/castor/cern.ch//user/p/pooja/WorkArea/Fall11/GammaJet/GJet30To50/ | grep bkg" to pooja.log
awk: {print /castor/cern.ch//user/p/pooja/WorkArea/Fall11/GammaJet/GJet30To50/$9}
awk:                    ^ syntax error
progressing ... please be patient...
[lxplus252] /afs/cern.ch/work/p/pooja/scripts/PhoOptStudy/mc/fall11/GJet > 

I did google, but unable to figure out the solution so far.

Kindly help

Many Thanks,
Pooja

Hi, you could try something like this:

rfdir "$PATHNAME" | grep "$2" | awk '{print "'"$1"'"$9}' > "$3"

But something like this would be cleaner:

rfdir "$PATHNAME" | grep "$2" | awk '{print path $9}' path="$1" > "$3"

Thanks..:slight_smile:

it did work..

Pooja