Script for enabling the printer in HP-UX

HI Guys

Want help in writing a Script for check and enable the printer if any any is disable in HP-UX automatic after every half hour...

Thanks...:wall:

OK, so how did you plan to do it, or what have you tried?

Try something like this to get started on the sorts of things you will need to do.

You might also like to try this

Have a read, have a go and then let us know if you need some more help with your chosen approach.

Robin

Hi Guys

Please check whether the below mention scipt is fine or not to enable a disable printer�

#!/usr/bin/ksh
# Script To check and enable printers that have gone down.
if [ $# = 1 ]
then
   date=`/usr/bin/date`
   lpstat $1 | grep Warning > /dev/null 2>&1
   if [ $? = 0 ]
   then
      echo "$1 down at $date" >> /var/tmp/lp/errlog
      ps -ef | grep lp >> /var/tmp/lp/$1pslog
      tail -50 /var/spool/lp/log >> /var/tmp/lp/$1lplog
      tail -50 /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log >> /var/tmp/lp/$1syslog
      dmesg >> /var/tmp/lp/$1dmesglog
      echo "Cancelling Print Requests for $1" >> /var/tmp/lp/errlog
      cancel -a -e -i $1
      enable $1
      date1=`/usr/bin/date`
      echo "$1 brought up at $date1" >> /var/tmp/lp/errlog
   else
      exit
   fi
else
   echo Improper Usage
fi

I have a few observations. I apologies if listing them make it seem a little terse for a response, but I will end up in long winded discussion with myself otherwise.

• If you are planning on scheduling this, you will have to name the printer, and therefore run it for each printer. Would you consider looking at the output of lpstat -p (no other parameters) and taking action for each printer that is not in a good state?
  • Why are you planning to cancel a print job? The output will be lost, when the most usual cause is a printer hardware issue, and the job will pick up later.
  • Very pleased to see lots of logging for actions but your tail -50 /var/spool/lp/log may not get the information you are interested in. Perhaps use grep to select information about your print queue and then tail off the last few records.
  • You are searching for state of Warning , but that doesn't cover a queue that is DOWN

These are observations only, and you certainly have the makings of a sensible approach. If it meets your needs, there is nothing else to do.

Robin