Screen layout of unix.com just changed

Hi . The unix.com display suddenly has wide left and right margins. I have tried on different PCs and get the same effect. My screen resolution is 1024x768 in IE6.

Same here. Both on google chrome and iexplorer.

Same here.
Had to change the 'Style' in the bottom left drop-down box to 'Full Width' to get it back.

You might have been using the forum default skin. I changed the default to this layout (designed by reborg a while back) for a change.

If you prefer the full wide screen style, go to your UserCP -> Edit Options and go to the bottom where it says, Miscellaneous Options and select the wide skin.

Cheers!

Did that - that looks better (at least for my eyes)
I think the default style is not really eye-pleasing - there's too much of the wasted real-estate... - others might have different opinions of course.

I agree. The wide screen style is better.

Sometimes it is fun to experiment with bounce rate with the (unregistered / guest) users who come here from search engine referrals.

I'll prob' change it back soon, or I might upload a different default skin for fun. I suggest you set the style/skin you like in your CP so you will not be effected by the (experimental) changes.

Cheers!

EDIT: Changed the default back to the wide screen....

I use a narrow style because I have the option without it being enabled for other users. I find that my monitor at work is too wide to read content in a forum without "head panning" and as a result I use the narrow style at work and the the full width one on my laptop.

The narrow style I use created has a couple of other "tweaks" such as larger icons for new posts in subforums, so that I actually notice that there is new content which is particularly useful on a large hi-res monitor.

I can definitely see how a narrower version would be great for a very wide screen.

Normally, I have found that by reducing the width of the browser window is the best use of the real estate for me (which I cannot do on my mobile phone).

OBTW,

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of vB skins available on the net, most are free, some cost a few bucks; some that cost a few bucks on one site, are free on another..... so if anyone sees a particular vB skin you want to try, please download it (we are running vB 3.7.x now) and then post it as an attachment (with a link back to where you found it) and we will evaluate for installation.

So far, we have not found anything better than the one we are using now, but that does not mean there is not something out there that is really great. I spent two hours yesterday searching and did not find anything appealing.

The best "alternative skin" I have found is the vB silver skin used in the vB AdminCP. I really like that one, but have not had any luck finding anyone who has ported that style to the main forums. It is not so important that I would take the time to build it, but I have considered using firefox webmaster tools to analyze the colors and css files and create a similar one.