Screen fading out and in.

I have two DELL OPTIPLEX 330 x64 PCs with dual core (2.2ghz x2), 2gigs ram. First one is dual boot with Ubuntu on top of Windows XP pro 86. Second one is stand alone Ubuntu.

The CRT monitors on both PCs periodically fade as if they are going into standby mode. But they don't go completely black. This only last several seconds. I have disabled 'TURN OFF SCREEN WHEN INACTIVE', and this happens while I'm typing or moving the mouse. There are no screen savers installed. The first one doesn't do this when I log on to WinXP. The second PC seems to do it more often than the first. This happens with nothing other than a browser loaded.

Also, the second PC runs slow and there seems to be a lot of HDD activity. I don't know if these problems are related. I suspect this is due to pending hardware failure. I'm going to pull the HDD and ram out and put it in a third OPTIPLEX I have on hand and see what happens.

Anyone (WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM) have any idea what causes the screens to fade like this? In all my years I have never seen this type of anomaly

What are you trying to run?
You say you have 2 GbRAM ok, but is the video RAM separate or shared ( with those previous 2 Gb )?
I am asking because I dont know about the late ubuntu ( my last install was maybe 4-5 years ago ) but as time passes all these new releases rely on more pawer and more RAM, not saying it wont run, but chances are you may encounter swapping issues... especially if running X11 ( GUI) and using browsers etc...

Nothing

PC meets or exceeds UBUNTU 17.04 system requirements.

I have a couple of questions if you be so kind to answer.

1. Have you updated the boxes with firmware (I see 2011 and 2012 bios version) ?
  2. Can you confirm you are running both boxes on same ubuntu release (17.04) and the XP does not experience such problems ?
  3. After a blackout, is the pc functional or dead ? Can you perhaps use ssh to connect during blackout ?
  4. You might want to check out the logs during the incident if you can ssh in.

If you cannot ssh, a more serious issue is at hand.

5. What kind of GPU or GPUs are inside (stock, multiple ..), I suspect radeon ?
  6. Are you using stock out drivers or you installed them and if yes how ?

I have experienced this hardware issue in CRTs before. It can happen when the flyback transformer loses voltage due to shorting or from its driving transistors overheating. It happens most often when the screen is left on for long periods of time.

Try swapping in an LCD to see if the problem goes away.

I have two CRT monitors, both work fine with WinXP. Both PC's are identical except one is set up for dual boot. The problem started when I installed Ubuntu and only occurs while running Ubuntu.

---------- Post updated at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:32 PM ----------

1. No I have not installed new BIOS. I don't see the need right now, that's not the problem. UPDATE: PC does have latest firmware version.
  2. Yes both are running 17.04, and no the problem doesn't occur while logged on to XP.
  3. It doesn't black out it just dims and becomes un responsive for several seconds.
  4. I will try to locate log files. Didn't know ubuntu recorded such events.
  5. integrated intel graphics media accelerator 3100
  6. it's using what ever drivers ubuntu loaded when I did the install.

Are you in the physical terminal when this happens? (i.e. ctrl-alt-f1 -- ctrl-alt-f7 ) Terminal blanking there is a kernel option, I think.

There may also be options for controlling this hidden in /proc/acpi or /sys/, I've seen some laptop hardware do that.

2 Likes

NO

@Corona688.......I reckon your post#8 is exactly on track. This Ubuntu installation thinks it's on a laptop. The OP says that the screen doesn't go completely black. The OS is trying to change the backlight. Yes, that's a ACPI fix. We also know well that Ubuntu open source display drivers have particular problems with Intel graphics.

Search the web for 'Ubuntu', 'backlight', 'Intel graphics', etc.

This looks weird until you consider a laptop installation then it suddenly becomes very common.

No. It is happening at the GUI while doing simple things ie playing mine sweep, or using firefox. It even occurs if nothing is loaded. It is random, but i have noticed it happens more, the longer the computer is powered up. When I reboot the problem goes away. Sometimes I can spend hours on line with no problem. I let the PC set a few hours and come back and the problem starts or doesn't.

I have since removed Ubuntu from 1st ("dual boot") PC in order to test Solaris 11.

---------- Post updated 09-14-17 at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-13-17 at 11:38 PM ----------

That sounds reasonable to me, but what do I know.

There is one file in /proc/acpi named wakeup. I don't understand it's contents...

Device S-state Status Sysfs node
VBTN S4 *enabled platform:PNP0C0C:00
PCI0 S5 *disabled no-bus:pci0000:00
PCI4 S5 *disabled pci:0000:00:1e.0
PCI2 S5 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.0
PCI3 S5 *disabled
PCI1 S5 *disabled pci:0000:00:01.0
PCI5 S5 *disabled
PCI6 S5 *disabled
MOU S3 *disabled
USB0 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1d.0
USB1 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1d.1
USB2 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1d.2
USB3 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1d.3

/sys has numerous items.

I disabled suspend and haven't experienced the problem. I'm not saying that is the cause.

I installed Solaris on the other PC that had same problem with Ubuntu and it doesn't have that issue any longer.

Thank you folks for your feed back. When I get WIFI working on Solaris, I think I'll 86 Ubuntu. I prefer Solaris's layout.

Kernel/Debugging/Backlight - Ubuntu Wiki

Other info search for:

"Ubuntu backlight Intel"

1 Like

Thanks for the link but its info overload :slight_smile: I have disabled everything I can, 'suspend' and 'turn screen off' when in active. Both of which don't seem relevant to me because it happens while I'm using the PC.

I have noticed the problem doesn't present itself after a reset. The system works great after a reset, soft or hard. When I leave the system running unattended for a few hours and return it is very sluggish and the screen fade issue returns.

I'm sure you good folks good pin point the problem in minutes if you could put hands on.

At this time I consider the problem moot and don't wish to waste your time. I have installed Solaris on my other platform and prefer it's appearance over Ubuntu. I'm having issues with it that I want to focus on. When I get this issued resolved I plan on replacing this Ubuntu install with Solaris.

So, I consider this thread closed. Thank you everyone for trying to help me with this issue.