scp Command from Linux to Windows

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to use the basic scp command in Linux to transfer a file over to a windows system, my syntax is as follows: scp <filename> <username)@<serveraddress>:directory. But the command keeps timing out. Any one have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Windows, unlike most Unices, doesn't ship with any subsystem that would make (automated) remote administration even remotely feasible. That includes a lack of an SSH server.

You can try running the one that runs via Cygwin, and I've heard that there's a Windows port of the original OpenSSH server too. Never tried it, tho.

That's strange, would it still be giving me a usage? I'm trying to do this with no built-ins. I'm running a x86_64-redhat box. Any thoughts?

Huh?

SSH isn't a built-in, on no OS. It just ships with most UNIX-like systems (like Linux), which means that it's included in the distribution the same way as Apache, OpenOffice, or gcc. You can check this by using

rpm -qa | grep openssh

Windows, OTOH, ships (in it's current desktop variant) on a DVD, but without such nice perks as multiple desktop environments, office suit, useful email program, web server, ... Or an SSH server. It doesn't matter what your UNIX-like system is, without an installed SSH server on the Windows side of the communication channel it won't have a clue what your trying to do.

ok, so there is no way to push files from a linux machine to a windows machine without installing 3rd party applications, without using a mount, right?

---------- Post updated at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:24 PM ----------

I think I figured it out. One last question, who can I call a program from linux which is located on a Windows Machine to run on the windows machine. Meaning if \\mywindowsmachine..compant.net\e$\program.exe is on the Windows Box, can I run something like a psexec from the Linux box to launch program.exe? I will do some more searching on it, I think I know a command in Linux that will do this.
Basically, I'm finding it very hard to push from Linux to Windows, but so much easier to Pull files from Linux to Windows.

All the programs you've mentioned so far are third party applications on Linux, too. The difference is that for Linux a distributor provides an easy and streamlined method to install them. And you'll need a tool similar to SSH in order to start a program on the Windows box, there's just no way around that. If you don't want to use SSH, you can try telnet, but that's pretty much it with the options you have.