Scoadmin not working

Tried running 'scoadmin' and ultimately 'mkdev lp' from telnet session with ansi emulation. SCO returns "dynamic linker : xm_vtcld : could not open libXm.so". Several years ago I found a relatively easy fix for it, but can't find it now. Assistance would be appreciated.

What version and maintenance patch level?

Fairly ancient. 5.0.6a with all the available patches.

I don't have a 506 system to check, and SCO's knowledge center is down, but...
This sounds like a discrepancy between the output of hostname and the contents of /etc/hosts.

If the SCOadmin launcher or a SCOadmin manager fails to start after a reasonable length of time, there may be a problem with the SCO Visual Tcl daemon process used to run SCOadmin:

Enter this command to determine the process number:

ps -ae | grep vtcld
You see output similar to this:

571 ttyp0 00:00:00 xm_vtcld
In this case, the daemon is process number 571. (In character mode, the process is named cm_vtcld.)
Kill the daemon process with this command, substituting the actual process number for number:

kill -9 number
If the process does not appear to be running, you should check the /tmp directory for temporary files left there by SCO Visual Tcl daemons. First, SCOadmin character sessions leave files of the format ch_PID.UID (PID is the process ID number and UID is the user ID number), for example ch_8132.0. Graphical sessions can leave similar files of the format PID.UID. If there are a large number of these files present, you should remove them and try running SCOadmin again.

This may help you,
Rachel Gomez

Thanks @RachelGomez161999 for chiming in.
I have no SCO experience, but would follow up the error message:

Is the libXm.so present and okay (executable, length greater than 0, owned by root)?

find /usr -type f -name libXm.so -exec ls -l {} \;

As this is a Motif library, a work around might be to unset DISPLAY.
E.g. prefix an empty DISPLAY with

DISPLAY= scoadm

and hopefully it will start in terminal mode.

It's been some considerable time since I used a SCO system in anger although I still have a server in storage here somewhere.

However, I do remember there being a SCO command that would check the integrity of the system; file presence, access rights on files, etc, etc, etc.

I think that it might even be called 'integrity' Try:

# man integrity

and see if I remember correctly. I don't know what the command line switches are but the man page, if it's there, will tell you.

Does anyone else (e.g. @jgt ) remember this command?

could it be this integrity(ADM)

NB:I've never had the pleasure of sco ... so E&OE

1 Like

It looks like you are trying to run the scoadmin utility on a SCO Unix system and you are getting the error dynamic linker : xm_vtcld : could not open libXm.so. This error is usually caused by a missing or corrupted library file.

To fix this issue, you could try the following steps:

1. Check if the libXm.so file exists in the /usr/lib directory. If it does not exist, you can try copying it from a different SCO Unix system or from the SCO Unix installation media.
  2. If the libXm.so file exists, you can try to rebuild the library cache by running the /usr/lib/dld.sl -i command as root. This will rebuild the cache of shared libraries and might fix the issue.
  3. If the above steps do not work, you can try to reinstall the SCO Unix system. This will replace any missing or corrupted files and should fix the issue.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

https://chat.openai.com/chat/767aa5ff-ebbd-4aa3-ae38-472bceec11e0