SCO unix backup woes

Hello all,
I'm still a novice at unix and SCO Openserver 5.0.5, however I have a couple years experience with Irix, a handful of linux distro's and Solaris 9....
Regardless, I have two identical RAID arrays, one of which runs SCO openserver 5.0.5, and the other which is completely blank.
I am trying to use a tape backup of our first server to mirror the contents to the second, separate, RAID array.
I can create the SCO rescue disks, but upon attempting to un-tar the backup it attempts to write to the RAM drive.
I've already partitioned the second array identically to the first, but like I said, I'm new to this, and can't figure it out.
I'm sure there's some small hurdle that I just can't visualize and need to surmount.
Questions, Comments, Help and Slander welcome...

• Joe

I take it this is a separate pc?

Tar doesn't work quite well when backing up system files, so use cpio instead.

Try the following:

Boot the new system with the rescue disks, set up the partitions.

On the origanal pc insert a blank tape and type:

find "/stand" -depth -print -mount | /bin/cpio -ovcB -O /dev/(tape device)

then copy the / filesystem using a separate tape using the same command as above substituting the / for the /stand.

Once the stand filesystem is copied onto the tape, place in the new PC and type:

mkdir stand <enter>
chmod 777 stand <enter>
mount /dev/boot /stand <enter>
cd stand <enter>
cpio -iudvcmB -I /dev/(tape device)
unmount the /stand filesystem

Place the / filesystem tape into the new pc and type the following:

mount /dev/hd0root /mnt <enter>
cd /mnt <enter>
cpio -icvudA -I /dev/(tape device)
unmount the /mnt filesystem when tape is done

this will put the / filesystem on the hard drive.

Type the following to set up the new hd boot sequence:

/bin/dparam -w <enter>
dd if=/etc/hdboot0 of=/dev/hd0a <enter> (this is the default hd value, if your hd is different then change this parameter)
dd if=/etc/hdboot1 of=/dev/hd0a bs=1k seek=1 <enter> (if you changed the hd value in the above entry, this one must be the same)
/etc/haltsys to reboot

Upon reboot, make a stand directory and chmod 777 it. Add your other mount points and their chmod values.

Then type:

isverify -I <enter>
shutdown -g0 <enter> answer "y" to the question

Once rebooted, you can backup your other filesystems to tape and put them on the new system.

If you have any questions, pls let me know.