Sco openserver 6 on hd sata: cloning

Good evening,

I should make a full image copy of the 1 terabyte hard drive on an HP WX4600 workstation and is present as the only Sco OpenServer 6 operating system, which I need to run a very old corporate accounting program. Logically, Sco OpenServer 6 on this workstation has been regularly purchased with its license and activated.

I would like to make it specifically a copy of a clone on a new hard disk sata always from 1 terabyte, so you have a complete copy of the system always available backup ready for use (I do not have a RAID-1 system, in fact, but with a clone available spare ready to use I would be more quiet).

To make a copy of a clone I installed a second 1 terabyte hard drive on this workstation, and used several cloning programs without being able to succeed in the cloning.

I finally found a live linux distribution with the Clonezilla program, which would still work to do this clone, but it takes (as estimated time) 24 hours to clone the source disk to the destination disk.

Is it possible that Clonezilla takes all this time?

Clonezilla is launched via a sata DVD interface and then copied to the RAM memory.

I ask you the following courtesy: based on your experience, can you make a clone copy with a different and faster system, with linux or open source programs?

Thank you so far for your kindness.

Greetings.

What is the actual disk usage? Can you show the output of 'dfspace'?

1 Like

Good evening, here is the result of the dfspace command:

Terminal type is vt100
# # dfspace
/ : Disk space: 909808.54 MB of 951271.99 MB available (95.64%).
/stand : Disk space: 36.42 MB of 39.99 MB available (91.06%).

Total Disk Space: 909844.97 MB of 951311.99 MB available (95.64%).
#

I understand that there is a lot of free space. What do you think of this point? Thanks for your support. Greetings.

Download and install Microlite Edge. Microlite Corporation - Home of BackupEDGE 3.x then do a backup to DVD, you may need two disks for the 42gb of disk space used.
Create the emergency boot dvd.
Temporarily replace the 1tb disk and boot from the recovery dvd to do a full restore.

You can do this with the demo version of Edge, but only for 60 days.
When you create the new disk, only use 100gb for the Unix partition rather than the whole terabyte.
Do you have a plan for updating the backup disk with current data, assuming that the application is not read only?
This will not work if your application is copy protected and you cannot re-license it, as files will not have the same inode number on the new disk.

You should expect to spend 4 hours doing this.

1 Like

@jgt........BackupEdge can put 42GB of data on 2 DVD's? Does it do some massive compression?

1 Like

It does about 4 to 1 compression, depends upon the data.
This is from a backup that is primarily Microfocus Cobol Data and pdf files.

Date                   = Tue Jul 10 01:19:51 2018
Files Encountered      = 319337 
Total Data             = 19.31GB   #from df -v
Data Written           = 4.29GB   #contents of DVD-R

So it might require third disk.

2 Likes

Good morning, you believe that you can make a complete cloning even by extracting the hard drive from 1 terabyte HP workstation WX4600, inserting this disk sata in a linux workstation and proceeding to clone this disk on a new one directly then from linux (eg opensuse linux) installing and using the suggested Microlite Edge program in linux? Should the latest version of opensue leap 42.3 with microlite be able to handle the cloning process according to you? I thank you in the meantime for the valuable support you have provided me so far. Greetings.

no. you install the sco version on your current sco system.

You are going to download edgesco6.elf from Microlite Corporation - BackupEDGE DOwnloads
Then install this on your SCO system.
Start the edgemenu program and configure the backup device.
Do a full backup.
Create the emergency boot media.
Shut down the system and replace the disk with a 128gb SSD.
Boot from the emergency boot media and do a one touch restore.
Leave the 1tb disk on the shelf as the hot spare.