sar : insufficient address space to load xxxx device records

Hello,

i am using Solaris 10, The sar running in my system might be corrupted, but not sure why as there has been no updates to it ( to the best of my knowledge) and it was working fine until few days back. If i try to get sar reports using sar -o <filename> 60 180
there is no error but the file that is created cannot be opened using

sar -f and i get this error
sar: insufficient address space to hold 94074279 device records

when i did same with sadc it worked just fine, so i have got a work around but still trying to figure out what might have gone wrong.

If i try to use - A to put it in ascii , i get same error
sar -A -f <file> > <text>
sar: insufficient address space to hold 94074279 device records

there was just my id which was running sar

Thanks

Sounds like perhaps the nightly cron run before midnight and so all your cron records are in "todays" file rather than get moved on at midnight. The sys user crontab should look something like this:

0,20,40 * * * * /usr/lib/sa/sa1
55 23 * * * /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A

The first line records a snapshot every 20 minutes a daily log into /var/adm/sa/saX where X is the date of the day the data was gathered and the second line translates that into /var/adm/sa/sarX which is the ASCII version of the same.

I am wondering if the sa1 cron job id not switching dates or that the cron job to gather sar data has a * for the minutes value rather than something like 0,20,40 (every 20 minutes or 0,15,30,45 (every 15 minutes) although that would still only generate 1440 records?

i am not running sa1 or sa2 from cron. The cron is -

/usr/bin/sar -o <filename> 60 180

and then i try to sar -f <filename> when i get that error.