SAN questions about Sun StorageTek array

Hi,

I have a question about Sun StorageTek Common Array Manager (CAM): What is the concept of 'host'? Is it the hostname of the server that has access to the managed array? If so, can I use its IP instead of its hostname?

I've found a 'host' under CAM called XYZ (See below). In our envrionment, there is no system using hostname XYZ. This makes me think the 'host' is not the actual hostname. It appears like a host alias used by CAM. Sun manuals don't give enough info about the concept, or I haven't found it. So please help!

# sscs list -a arrayname host
Host: XYZ

Thanks!

the "host" is just a name which has access to a LUN. it can be any name...

How can I match/map a 'host' in CAM to a real host? How can you explain these words that sounds like a real host from Sun manual?

"A host represents a data host, which is a computer that is attached to the storage array and generates data to be saved in a storage array. The data host sends data to the storage array using a Fibre Channel (FC) connection. A host must have one or more associated initiators to enable you to map volumes to the host."

Thanks.

you match the host to the lun with the WWN...

1 Like

I've done that using zones in the Brocade switch. How can I do it under CAM? Do I need to do it under CAM?

Have you used CAM?

Thanks.

yes to both questions...

Here is my understanding:

(1) Under CAM, match initiators (that are created by array WWNs) to volumes (that contain LUNs).

(2) Under switches, make zones to contain the array initiators, the switch ports and the servers' HBAs.

(3) Final connection/communication flow:

Server HBAs <> Switch Zones <> Storage Initiators.

Am I right?

Thanks!

Everything is clear now.

Under CAM, map initiators to hosts, and map hosts to volumes. The so-call host is just a name to connect initiators (FC ports) to the disk volumes.

initiators <> hosts <> volumes

Thanks everyone again!