san lv showing old fs

Hi All,

I have been working with two AIX with san and this is the first I got this minor problem on my third AIX. The san/hdisk was recreated so many times because of this problem. When I created a new vg and fs. The fs will be mounted/unmounted properly but if I query the fs on a vg with this "lsvg -l vg", the fs that will show will be the previous lv that I created but the mounted fs is the new, even with df, I will see the new lv/fs. Even when I cd to the new fs, it will change to it, but if I cd to the old fs, it will give me error with no such file or directory.

Why is that? Is my ODM corrupted?

Thanks in advance,
itik

At least it sounds like that. Did you delete the old VG prior to creating it anew? Try the following: "varyoffvg" the VG in question, then "exportvg" it to completely get it out of the system. Delete the respective hdisk devices. Edit /etc/filesystems to get rid of the old filesystem entries.

(Ah, before i forget: before you do any of this make sure you have a working backup - this is all *very* destructive and *very* finally so.)

Then create the SAN shares anew, run "cfgmgr" and only then create a new VG and the filesystems.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

If you don't have multipathing set up properly for the SAN the AIX system may see the old FS via the old path.

Also I dont think exportvg is destructive. It just cleans out the AIX ODM. You can always do an "importvg" to bring the VG back, just point it to the hdisk. I use this to migrate the VG from one AIX server to another. Data is still there on disk.