San Basics for Redhat

Hi All,

Need few answers

1) How to check HBA Card in rhel4/5/6.

2) How to HBA is faulty?

3) How to replace an HBA ?

4) How to reconfigure an HBA

Your question is very open ended and vague.

If you want to see if you have an HBA card in RHEL a few ways would be to do the following:

lspci -vv | egrep -i 'brocade|emulex|qlogic'

As well, you should probably look in:

/sys/class/scsi_host/host?/model_desc

Checking if it is faulty is a determination that is dependent on the fault.

Changing one depends on the interface. If it is a blade, then it will possibly be a mezzanine card and that may be the job of the support team of the manufacturer. Otherwise you must have a level of hardware knowledge to remove the blade and the associated card.

if it is a server, it will likely be some PCI standard (PCI-X or PCIe) device. It is replaced like any other.

Normally, the HBA is not reconfigured in case of replacement. That is usually handled at the SAN controller and switch, where the zone is now configured for the new WWID/WWN (World Wide ID or World Wide Name, similar to a MAC address). At that point, the rezone would occur and the representation of the LUN would be done to map to the new device. A rescan might be in order for the devices.

You can either look for a script that is available online called "rescan-scsi-bus.sh" and pass it the appropriate arguments to rescan, or you can do the following at the command line:

for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*
do
echo '- - -' > $i/scan
done

that should represent the LUNs to you.

You should use some sort of multipath driver, such as the one provided with most Linux installs (dm-multipath) or powerpath, securepath, etc.

Thanks Mark for your response.

Let me precise the requirements

1) Please let me know different supported HBAs on RedHat.
2) What Drivers are needed to configure them.
3) Is these are plug and play or we need to install vender software for same.

4) Please let me know few utilities to manage the same?
5) Even how to check wwn no for HBA in these.

You are asking for a "What is everything I need to know about a SAN on RedHat" That is not a good question for here. Perhaps you need a book or training.

Contact the vendor (Red Hat) for supported hardware for their software. Contact the vendor (your SAN/HBA vendor) for everything else. Asking us when you are involving the tremendous expense of a SAN is likely going to cause you a failure in the future.