same old, same old - and iptables problem

I'm having a problem with iptables, despite being an old hand with ipchains. I am getting the following message when I try to "start" my iptables:

I would usually say that one of the iptables kernel modules isn't loaded, especially if the `' actually read `nat' or `mangle' or something similar.

The output of my lsmod is:

my iptables config is:

I would greatly appreciate any help. I have tried experimenting by removing rules and such, but the only way I have been able to get a clean startup is by having a blank config!

I'm not sure what is causing iptables to try and load a null `' table ... as I understood it the `filter' table is the default table. Also, please tell me to FAQ off if this is a commonly answered question. I've checked UNIX.COM and the homepage mailing lists to no avail.

as an extension of this, I have tried starting just with the rule:

-P INPUT DROP

nothing else, and I still get the same error.

Please post your OS and version (it may matter).

I did notice there are MANY fixes for the save/restore funtions in the latest iptables v1.2.7a (note - 1.2.7 should not be used). It may be that is your 'fix'.

Also, this error shows up on what seems to be every version...this complaint came from someone using the same version as you. I don't have it to test with so you are on your own to see if the 'fix' they give works.

Thanks - I'll try adding some manual rules and see if that works; if so I'll abandon iptables-restore/save and create my own script
./Thanks