Samba Slow to Connect Xp to Solaris

Hi everyone, I posted this on the Solaris forums but so far no one has been able to help...

I'm new to solaris and I've installed 10, update 5. I've configured samba (very badly I believe) so that I can access my solaris box from my XP 64 computer.

Both are on a local network (connected via a Belkin router) and in the same workgroup. I can see the XP machine from solaris, but not access anything (I just get a 'cannot show contents of directory' message). This is not my main problem, since I mostly want to access the solaris system from XP (I want to set up the solaris box as a RAID Z NAS). This works to a degree. I can see and access my solaris filesystem from XP. Hurray. I have two problems:

1. I have set guest to NO, but I never get asked for a password (I've set up an account on the solaris system with a password using smbpasswd). I just get access. Why is this? I don't want a bunch of ner-do-wels skulking about my server and erasing files and such.

2. While I can stream music fine (and my transfer speeds seem good), after a minute or so, if I want to browse my solaris files from XP it stalls for about one minute (I think it is re-logging in?) and while this happens any music being streamed stops. How do I stay connected and logged in? Here is my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.2.3 (192.168.2.3)
# Date: 2008/05/11 18:46:15

[global]
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY
ldap ssl = no

[/home]
read only = No
guest ok = No
available = No

[homes]
valid users = %S
read only = No
guest ok = No

Thanks for any help.

Cisco

Update: I did try to add the line

name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts

as suggested in the 'Samba Slow' thread (though I'm not sure if it is the same problem.)

Also, I have Media Monkey on my XP to play music, and have added the songs on the solaris system to the library. As long as I don't try to browse with ie, I can play those songs regardless without delay, so it does not seem to be a problem with logging in/ out, just with the browsing. Is this a wins problem?