Samba Printing

Hi!

I am trying to print to a HP OfficeJet 4620 that is wireless. I can print to it from Unix command line, but I want to print to from the DOS command line on my PC.

I tried to setup a samba printer on the SCO Unix File Server. I must have done something wrong, I cannot communicate from my PC. It does show up as a share in the network on my PC. My PC is running Windows 7 Professional.

Any suggestions???

Did you install that printer correctly on the PC?

To print from a DOS command line.

Set the printer up within Windows, and then share it. You should be able to print from a Windows application.
At the Command prompt issue:

net use lpt1: \\computername\printer

Your DOS application should then be able to print.

1 Like

That works great, except that the printer stills shows it is printing. I have to press the cancel button on the printer before another print job can print.

This is okay, but if someone know why, please reply. I know the HP LaserJet 5, I have to send a form feed to release the printer. However, I am using the lpr command on DOS and Unix. I will give it a try with the print command under DOS.

---------- Post updated at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:20 PM ----------

I tried sending a form feed after printing the document, but that did not work.

Probably because the application does not close the print file.
The last page should print if you release the printer from the network.

net use lpt1: \\cpu\printer /delete
1 Like

jgt,

The print completes just fine, but the printer says it is still printing. I tried what you suggested and that did not work.

I am going to chalk is up to another issue with a HP OfficeJet 4620 printer. It is a all-in-one printer. It has some nice features, but it goes to sleep on Windows systems, but wakes up on my Unix File Server. I guess I will rely more on my HP LaserJet 5 (networked) for printing, seeing that I am a developer and print a lot of sections of code or print screens.

Thank you for your help...