samba for solaris 9 help!!

I'm trying to install samba-3.0.0, I downloaded it from samba.org. After extracting the tarball i cd into source and typed ./congifure and it's responding back like:

checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C Compiler found in $PATH

I su to root and still does same thing. I'm new to Solaris and still learning. I am currently trying to install samba on Solaris 9 x86 platform. Any input about this problem would be greatly appreciated.

If I added a new thread and another similar question was already posted I apologized, I searched with keywords samba and installing samba but the threads about it was locked, and the previous answer didn't really answer my question.

--
N0C

well, it seems that you don't have installed any Compiler. Look at www.sunfreeware.com and you will find a precompiled gcc package for your solaris...
when you have installed a compiler yet, you have to set the direcory to your $PATH..
# find / -name gcc -print
/usr/local/bin/gcc
# PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin/

greetings Pre�y

Solaris 9 does not come with a compiler by default - you have to install your own.

The above suggestion is right on. I've used the gcc from sunfreeware.com before. It is the easiest way to get a complier for a Sol 9 system.

Do I have to download and install "MAKE" from www.gnu.org also? Or does Solaris already provide that with the installation?

You should have a copy of make in /usr/ccs/bin/make. I believe you do not need to download make unless for some reason you prefer the gnu version to what comes with the OS.

Check www.sunfreeware.com if they have a precompiled samba in solaris pkg format.

If not go download gcc and gmake from www.sunfreeware.com and install them

make sure / usr/local/bin/ is in your path (u may also need /usr/ccs/bin in you path. Make sure you put it after /usr/local/bin so you dont use the make in there but the gmake in /usr/local/bin/)

then try
./configure
make
make install
in your samba src directory..

/Peter

thanks, I'm stuck one step behind, I'm trying to install gcc now. I go it to install on my linux box, but i'm working on my solaris machine now, I think i have to set the path name first, browsing through the forums I saw someone mention a step on how to do it. I haven't tried it yet because I'm at work right now, but I will when i get home, thanks for everybody that put in their input.

-N0C

--heh, it was presby that told me the step

This is what I entered and what I go back in return...

# CC=/path/to/compiler/cc ./configure
Configuring for a i386-pc-solaris2.9 host.
Created "Makefile" in /usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.1 using "mh-frag"
./configure: /path/to/compiler/cc: not found
*** The command '/path/to/compiler/cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
#

I was currently in the dir /usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.1 (where I put the file after I extracted it from tar)

Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

--
N0C

OK..

Try this :
download the packages gcc and gmake to /tmp on the solaris box
from WWW.SUNFREEWARE.COM
for solaris 9 intel (if thats what you are running.)

unpack them with gzip -d <packagename.gz>
then
# pkgadd -d /tmp/name_of_gcc_package
# pkgadd -d /tmp/name_of_gmake_package

when they are installed (they install in /usr/local/bin/gcc and make

try
# /usr/local/bin/gcc
should return gcc: no input files

now you have the compiler installed.

now setup the path :
first we will use the sh shell

type this :
# sh
# PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/ccs/bin/
# export PATH
(set the CC just to be sure)
# CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
# export CC

then do
# cd /tmp
try
# gcc
(to see if path is working should retunr no inputfiles)

when this is done go to the samba dir
type
# ./configure
make
make install

give that a shoot :slight_smile:

/Peter

I got up to the part where I'm adding the package for install, I finished installing make and I was doing the pkgadd -d command with the gcc but it says:

cpio: Cannot write "reloc/info/gcc.info-6", errno 28, No space left on device

(and repeats for a number of lines)

pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
- process </usr/bin/cpio -icdumD -C 512> failed, exit code 52
pkgadd: ERROR: unable to unpack datastream

Installation of <SMCgcc> failed <internal error>.
No changes were made to the system.
#

When that happened, i tried to install make, and it went through just fine. I got a 20gb hd that solaris is occupying. All the partitions should be enough to install the gcc.

--still stumped
NOC

This sounds simliar to my last post. From my novice point of view, you're trying to compile a compiler, but don't have a compiled compiler to do the compiling. I've heard that there is a compiled version out there at some MIT ftp site, but I have been checking for days now and the server has not been reachable. Let me know if you find a solution to this problem because I am seemingly in the same boat. You would think that GNU would host a compile version of the compiler, but they don't.

--AJ

How much space do you have left on the /var filesystem. pkgadd spools pkgs there.. and gcc is big.. like 300MB .. so you need more than 300MB free on /var
/peter

I believe I have enough space, my HD is 20GB and I did the auto allocation that Sun recommended. I do not remember how much space is in /var, but possibly I could re-install the oe again. What command could I use to check the storage space available on that partition?

use df -k to check.

If you let solaris make the slices for you there is a chance that there is not enough space on /var

if you reinstall i would recommend you make var at least 1 gb.

or just make one big / and put everything in there..

/Peter

No, he's installing a precompiled binary of gcc via pkgadd, as is mentioned above in this thread, and as was also mentioned in your thread, you can get this binary of gcc from www.sunfreeware.com

Hi,

Since you're a newbie, you shouldn't start by compiling programs like samba... you have to get all the dev tools and you'll face a lot of other problems while compiling. Why don't you gwt pkg-get instead ? You can get all the packages you want and it'll automatically follow all dependencies... give it a try !

http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/pkg-get.html

Definately check your filesystem space if you let Solaris automatically choose the partition sizes. The program is terribly outdated - it is as if they havent updated it since the days of 270mb drives. I accidentally forgot to customize on a server with a 18 gb drive once and I got something ridiculous like 50 mb for /, 15 mb for /var, and the rest all piled into /export/home.

As a hint, for my 18 gb rootdisks here's what I used generally (on a server with 4gb ram, swap can be smaller if you have less ram)

/ 2048

swap 4096

/var 2048

/u01 5120 This is an app area used by the dba's to install oracle and its supporting apps, you would not need this but instead might have your own apps partition with whatever name you want.

/export/home ~3950 (the remaining space) this was also awfully big for user home directories, but I had extra space. You could easily shrink that to make more room on your apps partition.

If you don't need as much in /export/home or your apps partition, you could give the extra space to / or /var. Just remember, you don't want stuff that changes or any data on /. The root partition should be just for the operating system and application binaries, any log file type stuff should go in /var and user data in /export/home or else in partitions designated for data. You never want users or logs to be able to fill up / and crash your box. Even if you are the only user, it is good practice to keep / pretty clean so when you do back ups of your data you don't need to worry about what is mixed where. You know if you backup your data partition and /export/home you can always just reinstall the os and your apps then restore the data.

Wow, that was probably way more than you wanted to know about partitioning in Solaris. Sorry if I bored you, but hopefully some of it proves interesting and/or useful.

Ha, 16GB is in /home/export while /var is 56MB.... it's funny..... I'm going to re-install and re-partition, I'll check in again tomorrow.

You guys been a great help, I finished re-installing solaris and re-partitioned the drives. The GCC installed properly and after setting the path, samba installation went straight through.

On another note, can anybody tell me how to mount an external usb mass storage drive. It's a western digital. During the installation solaris detected it and it's under c2t0d0, I just don't know how to mount it. Do I have to reformat it to UFS? Or can it still be a ms_dos format...... So far out of 80 GB it has 30 GB of Windows programs on it.

--
NOC