Safe to uninstall with apt-get install?

Yesterday I incidently called apt-get with an ending "-". I noticed that I got promped if I wanted to remove the file. My question is if it's safe. I've never heard of anyone doing it so I just wanted to know.

Syntax:

161659/home/riwa# apt-get install links2-
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  links2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 3211kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 109839 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing links2 ...

/Richard

In fact, it's a documented feature:

# man 8 apt-get
[...]
       install
              install is followed by one or more packages desired for installation. Each package is a package name, not a fully qualified filename (for
              instance,  in  a Debian GNU/Linux system, libc6 would be the argument provided, not libc6_1.9.6-2.deb) All packages required by the pack-
              age(s) specified for installation will also be retrieved and installed. The /etc/apt/sources.list file is  used  to  locate  the  desired
              packages.  If  a  hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is in-
              stalled. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be  used  to  override  decisions
              made by apt-get's conflict resolution system.

[...]       

remove remove is identical to install except that packages are removed instead of installed. If a plus sign is  appended  to  the  package  name
              (with no intervening space), the identified package will be installed instead of removed.

Ok. Well a useless feature. But now we know it!

Thanks for the research!

/Richard