Safe port number to use for custom purpose?

Hello, this is a really quick question that should be easy to answer. I want to forward a certain port through a firewall. I know 0-1024 are out of the question and 1024-49151 are considered "registered" ports and 49152-65535 are dynamic or private. I want to be sure I pick a port that won't ever be used by another application. So should I pick something in the 49152-65535 range or 1024-49151 range? I am guessing 1024-49151 but most of the servers in this network will be using this forwarded port so I don't want to run into the possibility of another application using the port I picked and then having to customize that installation. Thanks!

Here is a list - RFC 1700 - ports that are registered for use. I don't know where you got your port number info from, but this is a standard list.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1700.txt?number=1700

There was a game named 'Doom' back in the early 1990's. The developers got port 666. Do you play doom everyday? No. Does anyone play it on a local LAN? Very close to No. Remote possibility.

Well, then that explains why some aspects of this concept have issues.

Internet Assigned Numbers Authority has a list based on RFC 1700, too. There are other numbers there.