Russian font in Unix

Hi,

I've installed russian font (Cyrillic) in my system. But I could not type in those characters under unix. Especially for mail.

Do I have to do any settings?

Please advice.

Regards,
Venu.

what application(s) are you using?

Hi,

I could not see these characters in the unix prompt itself. I was trying to use 'Mail' command in unix.

No particular application as such.

Rgds,
Venu.

the unix command line (bash, ksh, whatever shell you want to use..) is by nature, command based. as far as i am aware, they wont change from ls, or dir, or what ever the equivalent in other languages may be.

however unix is entirely customizable. if you have installed a font that you can use at the terminal, and you have mapped your keyboard as such, you could always alias every unix command, to commands derived from whatever language, using whatever character set you want.

mai, is usually aliased to whatever mail program you use. the default on my system is nail, it works and is simple to use.

so, find out what mail program you are actually using, and see their site for information on sending messages using a different language pack.

possibly you could find a mail client which supports different language modes, which you could switch into that would change your keyboard map and all that so you can send mail in any language you want.

if your mail program dosnt support doing something like that, check out freshmeat.net .

i am almost positive there is something out there that suites your needs.

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.
Let me be more specific in this. I have the russian font, and mapped my keyboard to russian. I'm able to see this font in Windows XP, but when I login to unix, and try to type in my user id and password to login, I just dont see the characters and it does'nt allow me login.

How will I customise unix for russian fonts.

Regards,
Venu.

what os are you using.

Hi,

I'm using windows XP, and use Exceed to Login to Unix server.

Thanks,
Venu.

Read the http://linuxshop.ru & http://freebsd.org.ru materials...