Running process in nohup

Hi All,

I am facing issue in running a process in nohup. I ran a process in terminal since it is taking too long to complete I need to make it as background and nohup. I tried below and was able to make it in back ground

1. Cntrl + Z
  2. bg

I am using Korn Shell so disown is not working can you please help me to know how can I force it to nohup

Thanks,
Arun

Hello Arun,

Please use code tags while mentioning the commands in your post this is one of the important rule of this forum which you have agreed while creating your user profile. Also you can login to a seprate session to server and grep for the specific process then can use kill command if you are the root or owner of the process(In case process got hung). Kindly refer man kill , man grep and man nohup for same too.

Thanks,
R. Singh

Hi Arun

Looks like you can't go home until the process completes :wink: , there is a disown builtin in recent versions of ksh (certainly on my rhel6 box @ work anyway)

From the ksh manual page

disown [ job... ]
	      Causes  the shell not to send a HUP signal to each given job, or all active jobs if
	      job is omitted, when a login shell terminates.
1 Like

Hi Arun,

Some flavours of unix have a -p switch associated with nohup, you could try;

nohup -p pid

Something to check though is the use of pipes in the command.

Regards

Dave

1 Like

Tried nohup -p which didn't help. I am using redhat . so there is no possibility that I can make the running process to nohup

Thanks,
Arun

Which version of RHEL do you have?

The suggestions from Skrynesaver may apply.

Robin