Running an Interactive Program Remotely

now, i have a program that i would very much prefer to run remotely as i hate having to log into the box it is on.

the problem is, every command i have tried to run this remotely doesn't work.

the commands tries to kick off the program on the remote box but then hangs.

like take for instance,

ssh root@galaxy '/usr/bin/soft/accoutlood -a username'

when i kick off the above command, it looks like its going to run but it does not. it just kinda sits there and i would have to Control-C out of it to get the prompt back.

anyway to deal with this. i want to be able to run the above command remotely like i would have been had i been on the box itself.

any advice is appreciated.

the remote system i'm running the above command from is a SunOS system. The sysstem that the program itself lives on is a Linux system. (maybe this could be an issue)

It sounds like a GUI application, right (just making sure)? Try adding -X to your ssh line to throw the windowing output back to your sun box (assuming you're accessing via a window manager like cde). If your firewall allows it (not blocking X11) and X11Forwarding is set to yes in your sshd_config file, you should be able to access the application that way.

Carl

thanks for the reply. its not a gui application. its more like a interactive shell program

it seems the remote script is waiting for input through the console ... since the console is not active through the remote connection, the script hangs while waiting for input that cannot get there ... try debugging the remote script to get it to work remotely or use expect (or perl or something else) to fork a shell at the remote server to get around your problem ... good luck!