Running 2 Drives simultaneously?

So I have yet another query which requires the genius of the users on Unix.com. Having asked around at my work (Tech company) No one can really answer my question thoroughly.

My goal is to get 2 Hard drives running at the same time and allow me to switch between working on one to the other. However, the catch is that both the drives have different operating systems. 1 Windows XP, 1 Linux. The theory to me seems virtually impossible but I'm hoping there is a way for it to work. The drives would not be used to share info between them, merely running at the same time. My reason for doing this is because I am a working man and do not want to purchase a separate setup to be able to perform this. Now if this just a hopeless wish I understand and appreciate everyone's time for looking into it however briefly. Thanks to all.

If I got it correctly, you want to use the resources of both disks, but how exactly ? My understanding is that you can work under Linux and "mount" the Windows disk with some "ntfs-reader" driver, thus accessing the data. Please post more info on OSes as well as your specific requirements.

Perhaps a virtual machine is what you want to do. I use VirtualBox on my home computer, although several of my friends use VMWare and seem to like it.

The idea is hard to explain. But I'd like to run both drives simultaneously, and at the same time be able to execute both as if they were independent of each other. So virtually having 2 separate computers running at the same time on one machine. i.e. Running a Linux based server on 1 hard rive then using a hotkey of sorts to switch inputs to my windows hard drive and play WoW, or something to that extent. I have not looked at the Virtualbox but i will when I get the chance. Hope this helps.

HDR1: Windows XP - current build
HDR2: Mandrake linux - need to check version
Sys: AMD athalon 64 2.2ghz speed
Ram: 1GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon 300

Such "hotkey switch" doesn't exist, Virtual machine of any sort is what you can do, e.g. - vmware server installation on Mandrake, on this vmware machine you're running Windows; the vmware is always turned on, and waiting on background. Scenario like that is most likely to be achieved.