Run Level 1, S and small s

Hi Experts,

A stupid question for experts :confused: !!

What is the difference between run level �1', runlevel �S' and small �s'.
As per my understanding the difference between S and 1 is that in case of �S' it only going to mount the critical file system which ideal should be / , /var, /usr , however while testing I was able to see /export/home also in the df -h.

Please enlighten me

Regards
M

Following are the meainings:

S:Single-user, booted to system console only, with only root filesystem mounted (as read-only)

s:Single user, identical to S except the current terminal acts as the system console

1:Single-user with local filesystems mounted (read-write)

Thanks Nua.

As per your definition

S:Single-user, booted to system console only, with only root filesystem mounted (as read-only)

s:Single user, identical to S except the current terminal acts as the system console

1:Single-user with local filesystems mounted (read-write)

if I execute df �h I can see the file system mount which are not part of root file system and after executing the run level as 1 I executing the command df �h I see the same output.

However I go the answer by searching is the forum and as per that if we go down from higher run level to lower run level. Say from init 3 to init 1 or init S/s system never goes to true level S/s. its only go that that level once we boot it from OK prompt with �boot �S or boot �s �. Also run level 1 need the good /etc/inittab where in same is not required by in the case of run level S/s.

Thanks Experts.