RTF files can they be converted once they are on linux system

:smiley: mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt
my dillemma is simple i have psion 5 mx wich is an epoc type machine not only does it only work on windows as far as I know but I have to convert the files (the usual stuff!) sometimes a humen error happens and the files that I want to transfer to the linux drive has a few files in rtf..I have found that they are useless on unix unless you change them to text format.. I(i use word pad)... . the problem is I am stuck with a dozen rtf files on my linux drive and rather than delete and ocnvert and mount again I would like to know if there is a way to convert the rtf files on the linux drive itself to reguler windows text mode.. which I still hav e to strip of control charcters as I read in one of your threads today..!
1) is it possible to convert rtf files on linux itself without the due hassles
2) when I strip the characters I use the sed command and the CL/M command to delete the carraige returns.. how can apply this!!!!!!!
and will it work
(i got the idea from one of your threads today so please be patient)
mount -t vfat ascii /dev/hda1 /mnt ... will this work and will it strip carraige returns..
thanx moxxx68..
ps .. I wish I could put in a little more input but I am not as advanced as most of the users although I try!:cool:

The mount statement is for the filesystem. such as DOS, or FAT or ext2. I do not believe using ascii would do anything but give you an error. check the man page for the mount command. Check in the man mount area for conv=t[ext] text CRLF<-->NL translation is performed on all files

For converting rtf (Rich Text Format) you can try, Antiword or RTF to LaTeX converter or even Abiword
& UnRTF

will try thanx for your input!
thanx moxxx68!:slight_smile:

Why don't you convert the files to text before sending them to you Unix machine?

Why don't you convert the files to text before sending them to you Unix machine?

:smiley: but that odd rtf file is bound to get through again as they did before I figured out they won't work on unix... and i have bunch of them ready for data processing.. that would have to erased reconverted remounted and functionally I have to go through each of the rtf files to macth them up on the dos machine to actually figure which files i need.. since this whole process is really just starting.. so I thought there might be a way to convert them in one of those ways that I can only find out at site like this..
thanx moxxx68:D

moxxx6, i'm not sure that I follow.

:cool: better example)
I have a back up system that i download from with quite a few files.. when I installed windows recently I wasn't aware that RTF files don't translate.. rather than go through the whole serach and find file by file, convert to txt mode and then download again.. is there is a simple command that will conver t the files on the linux system directly..!
moxxx68 :smiley: