rsync is changing permissions

I have the following command. This is meant to download all files from my server to the Downloads folder of my startup drive:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -avve ssh --numeric-ids --delete --ignore-errors -R grndlvl@myserver.com:/usr/home/./grndlvl grndlvl@myserver.com:/usr/home/./grndlvl/mail_boxes/ grndlvl@myserver.com:/usr/home/./grndlvl/public_html/ /Volumes/'Macintosh HD'/Users/jeffrey/Downloads

This has always worked in the past, but now, I find that it's changing permissions for most of the directories so that a user called "_unknown" has rw, and Everyone has No access, and there are no other users. I even checked the permissions of one directory, which is all my mail boxes, and it has some weird "+" sign I've never seen before and can't be changed through the Finder, and I have no idea what chmod command would either create or eliminate it:

d-wxrw---x+   20 3004  1000      680 Feb  4 02:35 mail_boxes

As well, even when I do manually chmod the directories I am able to, the very next rsync changes them all back!

So what am I missing here?

your command doesnt like with problem
may be you can try

-rlptgoD

instead of

-a

option..

+ access control list for fs so save permission in ACL like file access perm (chmod) and then process mapping with acl and fmpb
give this setfacl -m and remove this setfacl -x ..... and list getfacl file (or dir)

try this option and and add this end of the command

rsync -rlptgoDvvvve ssh --numeric-ids --delete --ignore-errors -R ............ /Volumes/'Macintosh HD'/Users/jeffrey/Downloads | grep generator

Any change the perms?

I'll give it a try and let you know :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:44 PM ----------

That did it. Thank you.

BTW, can I ask you what the difference between the use of -a and the other set of options is? Am I missing anything, for example symlinks or resource forks?

Oh, also, now that it's working, I assume the grep's no longer needed. Are there any other options I can now delete?

Well, I just moved my OS to a new drive, but of the same name, and now I'm getting the same permissions issues with the new command.

try with strace and write output

strace rsync -avve ssh --numeric-ids --delete --ignore-errors -R ............ /Volumes/'Macintosh HD'/Users/jeffrey

or

try update rsync if there is available

Looks like I don't have strace. Is that available in Mac OS X?

bash: strace: command not found

Also, this is the latest rsync, v.3.0.7.

depending on your version of osx, you may have either ktrace or dtrace.

dtrace apparently is present, but when the command is run I get:

dtrace: no probes specified

this is maybe a bug :frowning:

can you try patch your rsync
maybe fileflags update works :rolleyes:

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync-patches-3.0.7.tar.gz

patch -p1 <patches/fileflags.diff
patch -p1 <patches/crtimes.diff

regards
ygemici