rsync copy files once

Hi
This is my situation

I have files on the left which I want to copy to the right. Once the files are copied to the right, they are processed and then deleted. The next time rsync runs I dont want it to copy the same files again, it should only copy any new files to the right.

I have been googleing around for ages and cant seem to find any solution to this.

Why don't you use the "right" directory as the hold forever directory?

In other words:

1) Files arrive in the "left" directory.
2) Files are processed in the "left" directory.
3) After being processed, they are moved to the "right" directory and deleted from the "left" directory.

unfortunately I am unable to delete files on the left.

When the files are copied over they are processed and sent into a database. If the files on the right are not deleted then they will just get processed again.
so I need to delete the files and then only copy over new files from the left.

You'll have to keep a list of files that have been copied and feed them into rsync with --exclude-from=FILENAME .

this is kind of subverting rsync's purpose, though. It's supposed to synchronize two directories. It may not be the right tool for the job. Do you have ssh access?

Both directories are on the same system. The left directory is a cifs mount from another server and the right is just a local drive.