Rsync Backups on HostGator VPS

I'm wanting to do remote backups of the entire /home/* directory structure, which is where HG puts all www files and sets the user and group independently of any other user ( so /home/user1 will be using group user1, instead of a generic apache group)

The problem I'm running into is that only root has access to everything in /home

so I have a few options, and none of them are making my tummy happy.

1) ssh in with keys as root and perform rsync backups (I'd rather just turn off root logins via ssh)
2) sudo in as rsyncuser via ssh... problem? this error: sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo
I can disable the requiretty in the sudoers file.. but I suspect that's not too secure...
3) go through the hassle of getting all the user directories to be group readable... and make sure that the rysncuser is part of each of the groups for each user... and pray that in the process, it doesn't jack with any sites.
4) just backup each user independently, creating new keys for each user, manageing the rotations individually, and leaving it up to chance that when a new user is added that the backup scripts are updated as well.

Are there any better options than this? If not, which of the 4 is my best bet?

Thanks

Matt