routing through a proxy server

I'm new to this forum, so please be gentle !

I need to get my IBM RS running AIX4.3 onto the internet to a particular ftp server, through a NT server running proxy services.
This NT server is directly connected to our internet router vis a secondary NIC on the NT server.
When I add the route to the destination ftp server via gateway ip of the NT server, I get destination unreachable.
Is the fault with AIX, or is it NT. Iread somewhere about SOCKs not being compatible, but not sure if it means SOCKs on NT.

Hope that's enough info for you gurus ?

A SOCKS server and a default gateway are two different things, and may or may not be the same machine (most likely not the same). If you want to use a SOCKS or other web-proxy to access the net, setup your client (AIX) machine as you normally would -- i.e. set your default gateway as provided by your network admin. Then setup your web-browser preferences to use the proxy server IP address.

Thanks for the swift reply PxT.

I'm not using a browser on the AIX server, all I need to do is ftp to a server on the internet, this I can do from a PC that goes through the proxy server, but not on my AIX, even after adding routes.